Eva death record after 1904

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
Katie

Eva death record after 1904

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 26.09.2020 18:16

I am looking for death record for my gr grandmother Eva Leinonen born Värylä, Puolanka, Oulu 30 Dec 1814. She married Japhet Kähkonen (can not get the letter o in names to type correctly (?)) and at the time of his death he lived in Paltoma. I was able to get Japhet's death entry from this website as being 13 Apr 1907 Härmänmäki farm, Keränen 1 Paltoma, Oulu. I was able to trace Eva and Japhet attending their son's wedding in Michigan, U.S. in April, 1904, last time I saw them alive. They were on no U.S. census so I assume their son may have paid for them to attend the wedding and they returned to Finland. Some time after 1904 Eva died. Are there any newer records for the area where Eva's husband died hoping to find Eva in the same area when she died. Eva's parents were Joran Leinonen (1815-1895) and Anna Mustonen (1814-1858) both from Paltamo area.
Hope you can find something. I made a note from this website that records would not be available until 2020 - well it's here.😉
Please advise
Thank You
Janice

Katie

Re: Eva death record after 1904

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 26.09.2020 20:47

I was checking again on Eva and Japhet Kahkonen having attended their son's marriage in Michigan 1904, U.S. and I can not find them on any ship mannifest coming to America or going back to Finland after the wedding. I think their names were on the Marriage application and they did not come for the wedding.
Thank you
Janice

Ashland

Viesti Kirjoittaja Ashland » 28.09.2020 19:09

Katie kirjoitti:
26.09.2020 18:16
I am looking for death record for my gr grandmother Eva Leinonen born Värylä, Puolanka, Oulu 30 Dec 1814. She married Japhet Kähkonen. I was able to trace Eva and Japhet attending their son's wedding in Michigan, U.S. in April, 1904, last time I saw them alive.
Thank You
Janice
I think you mistyped her DOB? it should be 1844. %) Is this your Eva Jöransdr Leinonen tree on Ancestry? https://www.ancestry.com.au/genealogy/r ... -24-81k56b

My G-grandparents and some of their siblings emigrated to Michigan, too. Most notably, ironwood/Bessemer/Norrie Mine locations. One place to check is findagrave. There are 27 Kahkonen's in Michigan on here, including females' maiden names.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/sea ... -107392882. I see Leonard, which I think is Eva's son, and Andrew, who seems to be Leonard's son.

Also, obits sometimes provide surprising info. If you can't find anything in newspapers, try http://www.gogebicroots.com. This covers a large swath of Michigan and northern Wisconsin (where my G-grandparents finally moved to). I've found things here that weren't available anywhere else. Obits are $5 apiece. These are not Finland's records I realize, but I've found mentions of deaths in Finland, saying the son/daughter left to travel to the funeral or could use some kind words, etc.

Cheers,
Ashland

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 28.09.2020 19:59

You are right. There are so many Eva's. My Eva Joran's daughter Leinonen was born 30 Dec 1844. She is not in any American Census records in MIchigan. And yes Leonard is her son and it was her marriage record that Eva and Japhet were mentioned. I mistook it as they attended but I now think it was part of the information needed on the marriage license. Japhet died:13 APR 1907 • Härmänmäki farm: Keränen 1, Paltamo, Oulu, finland. At the time I was researching this family there were no records for the 1900's but a historian from this phpbb found Japhet's death entry. I have a copy of that. But there were no more records released to the public and would not be released until 2020. I used Eva's place field to note no records to be released until 2020. Up to 1907 Eva is not found in the death records, including moving records because records were not released. I'm in a quandry. I'll check the link to Kahkonen's burials in Michigan, but if they were not in any census in Michigan or Minnesota I'll have to lean toward both died in Finland.
Thank you so much for getting back to me, I appreciate the research you did.
Janice Horton

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 28.09.2020 20:02

Ashland, I just checked the Michigan burial record link that was posted here and Eva and Japhet are not there. So I'm leaning toward Finland death for Eva.
Thank You
Janice

Ashland

Viesti Kirjoittaja Ashland » 30.09.2020 23:22

Katie kirjoitti:
28.09.2020 20:02
Ashland, I just checked the Michigan burial record link that was posted here and Eva and Japhet are not there. So I'm leaning toward Finland death for Eva.
Thank You
Janice
Oops, maybe I didn't explain clearly. I know they're not listed as being buried in Michigan. But some of their descendants are. For example, I saw Leonard's son, Andrew William Kahkonen. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/153 ... w-kahkonen. I looked him up in newspapers and found his obit from 1972. He never married, but his four married sisters are named as survivors. His sister, Esther, for example, married Loren Seidell in 1944. I found her, and her obit, on findagrave. It lists her daughter's married name and that she has four grandchildren. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/167 ... er-seidell.

I just meant to say, you could find burial places, obituaries, married names, and descendants in the places I mentioned. Cousins for sure, maybe 1-2 G-aunts or uncles. They might know something, they might also have stuff. I myself wasn't having much luck researching my G-grandparents until I had a lightbulb go off and started calling older cousins I'd never met. THEY knew all sorts of things. They also had photos. Immigration documents. Marriage certificates. Etc. I was totally amazed. In 10 months, I found 3,000+ living cousins, antique portraits, birth certs, death certs .... more family history than I'd ever hoped to find in my life. Turns out everybody has a little something tucked away in a box. :D I finally compiled most of into a bound book so the cousins could share with their kids/grandkids, etc. and the info would never be lost again. And it all started with a little detective work and a phone call.

Cheers,
Ashland

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 01.10.2020 00:12

I know she was not buried in America. I know that records were going to be released in Finland in 2020 for records after aprox 1907. Have any records for communion books, births, deaths, marriages etc been released this year? All I see are records ending in the late 1800's. One historian with this site found Japhet in 1907 for me. I believe I mentioned that in these postings. Can you check to see when the records will be updated for us to research?
Thank You
Janice

Vastaa Viestiin