Help with reading small print on a page.

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
TWahl

Help with reading small print on a page.

Viesti Kirjoittaja TWahl » 02.01.2020 20:55

This page
https://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/sivut_ ... 7&pnum=512
This page has very small print for the Pietila Koskela family and would like a better hi resolution copy of just that page.
My Great Grandfather is Adolf born 6 Nov 1869. I think this says that he left in 1891 followed by his brothers in 1894.
The story goes that their father, Matt passed away and the youngest son John (last in the list) went back to Finland to run the farm.

Not sure what the Paika Kustair means, or what the 1596 means, and the column next to John under Tulo means or the words in the last 2 columns say.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

JaskaS

Re: Help with reading small print on a page.

Viesti Kirjoittaja JaskaS » 02.01.2020 22:08

The tiny texts tell about their absence of conscription lottery in those years. So they have left before that took place.
Poika = Son. Your ancestor's complete names were Kustavi Adolf (and patronymic Matinpoika). Kustavi is same as Gustav/Gustaf.
1595 is the page number in next communion book (uusi kirja = new book), which is not yet available online.
Youngest son Johan Abram was transferred from children book's pages (LK = lastenkirja).
kelpaamaton = unfit (for army service)

:) Jaska

TWahl

Re: Help with reading small print on a page.

Viesti Kirjoittaja TWahl » 03.01.2020 06:02

Thank you.
That does all make sense, and in the US he is called Gustaf Adolph Koskela so that also tracks.
So now I will look to see when they actually left and when John actually returned to Finland.

Tim

Vastaa Viestiin