Jewish recordings

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
Katie

Jewish recordings

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 07.11.2018 07:20

I have an ancestor that I believe may be Jewish and she married a Christian would there be an entry made in the communion books which I assume would be Christian and then would there be entries made in a Jewish book on behalf of the spouse. My previous post I am questioning a 4x's great grandmother who was the daughter of a cantor which makes me think she was Jewish. My question is: do you know of a link to Finnish records that contain Jewish family records? The people I am working on now lived in the 1700's Paltamo. I also have some Ruuth's in my lineage which I believe to be Jewish from the 1700's and I would also like to know if they would be in some Finnish Jewish family records.
Please advise
Thank You
Janice Horton

Kimpula

Re: Jewish recordings

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kimpula » 07.11.2018 08:44

Katie kirjoitti:
07.11.2018 07:20
who was the daughter of a cantor which makes me think she was Jewish.
What?????
Katie kirjoitti:
07.11.2018 07:20
My question is: do you know of a link to Finnish records that contain Jewish family records?
You are studying SWEDISH history no matter what American secondary sources say, and Google would
have answered to you question

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... _in_Sweden

In 1782 an ordinance was issued (judereglementet) - due particularly to efforts of the prominent Liberal Anders Chydenius - by which Jews were restricted to reside in one of three towns: Stockholm, Gothenburg, Norrköping. To these was added the town of Landskrona, as a Jew had established there a factory for the manufacture of sails and naval uniforms. They were not permitted to trade in markets elsewhere or to own property. Jews were ineligible for government positions and election to Parliament. They were forbidden from converting Lutherans to the Jewish religion.

Katie

Re: Jewish recordings

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 07.11.2018 09:06

Kimputa
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I often wondered about the Jewish/Lutheran couples and since I can find -in most cases-the names in communion books then I would assume the Jewish spouse has converted the Lutheran. Knowing about the cities in Sweden where the Jewish people had to live may be a source for any future research.
Thanks again for you help, I appreciate you answering my question.
Janice

Vastaa Viestiin