Carin Leinonen marriage record 1787

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
Katie

Carin Leinonen marriage record 1787

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 07.11.2018 02:30

I am having trouble translating the abreviations that are entered for Erick (Groom) and Carin (Bride). I'm thinking that the abbreviations for Carin say that she is a Cantor's dtr? In Histormi.Net it states that KL is Klockare and Carin lives on a farm called Klockare, Paltamo . They were married 26 Jul 1787. This is the link to original recording on right side : http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/sivut_e ... 99&pnum=14
I'm also attaching the Hiski record I found.
Please translate the 2 abbreviations.
Thank You
Janice
Liitteet
1787 Hiski marriage record.JPG
Carin Leitonen Hiski marriage record
1787 Hiski marriage record.JPG (42.27 KiB) Katsottu 9023 kertaa

tuulacu

Re: Carin Leinonen marriage record 1787

Viesti Kirjoittaja tuulacu » 07.11.2018 10:12

Erik was a kyrkväktare, in Finnish nowadays suntio - maybe a sexton, an usher in English?
Here is a link to Swedish-Finnish definition of the "profession"
http://fho.sls.fi/uppslagsord/3837/kyrkvaktare/
and freely translated like this:

"Since the 15th century worked for the church, held an eye over the premises, looked after church adminstration and acted as village judge. From 1593, held a permanent vacancy and took care of the church inventory, cleanliness and order in the church. He should also help the cantor to take care of the graveyard and teach the children. It was his duty to wake up people who slept during the mass, and this he did with a special stich. In the latter part of the 19th century he was called "church doorman".

Klockare, the cantor, was a person who took care of the bell ringing, teaching children and partly of the same jobs than kyrkväktare. When teaching became more important, he also led the singing in the church, so he did not work so much serving the priest any more. So it was important that he could sing. (There are many musical families in Finland, whose forefathers were klockare in the earlier days.) The Finnish word for this profession used to be lukkari or kanttori. But as to your other question, "cantor" is just latin (from cantar, to sing), nothing to do with Jewish traditions.

As far as I know, these were important jobs in the village, and the men who were trusted to them had to have a good reputation.

Tuula K

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 07.11.2018 14:50

That was a great historical lesson. I have never heard cantor used without it being part of the Jewish faith. I'll have to add this to my family book.
Thank you very much
Janice

Kimpula

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kimpula » 07.11.2018 15:52

Katie kirjoitti:
07.11.2018 14:50
I have never heard cantor used without it being part of the Jewish faith.
There are other languges than American English in the world. If a word in another language (like Swedish) happens to have the same letters in the same order than in American English, the meaning of the word is probably quite different. (Do you know what "home" means in Finnish?)

Oops! Forget that. See here

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... ish/cantor
2 .Christianity
the leader of the singing in a church choir

and here
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/cantor
2 an official whose duty is to lead the singing in a cathedral or in a collegiate or parish church; a precentor.

and I was too lazy to continue...

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 07.11.2018 18:40

That was very interesting. I especially found the usage of the word how it grew in the 1700's then declined and went back up and down since 2008 and perhaps even less for 2018. It's a word that is not used in conversation these days except perhaps in some religious communities. You learn something new every day.
Thank you so much
Janice

Vastaa Viestiin