Birth record Amanda Katharina -04 OCT 1881 Lupua,FI

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
Katie

Birth record Amanda Katharina -04 OCT 1881 Lupua,FI

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 31.07.2018 02:22

I am trying to locate the birth entry for the above lady. The first link is to a Hiski record and the 2nd link goes to the October FFHA original entry on that date. Note she was born in October and christened 06 Nov 1881. About the only thing I found was the birth date of 04 Oct 1881 (first entry on the page) and I can not make out anything else for the person born then. Will you please review the Hiski record and the original link and translate the names. I know her mother's name is Liisa and her father is Juha.
http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski/9a61on ... etut+26936

http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/sivut_e ... 6&pnum=132

I have to ask about the recordings for Lapua. Most records seems like a lot of registering of birth dates and christened dates on same dates. If you view 1881 births in Hiski you will see what I'm questioning regarding mass postings. Am I looking at posting dates or actual dates of births and christenings?
Dare I ask this last question? The American records show Amanda's maiden name as Maunumäki. It's not Salo as shown in communion books. Where would that name come from????

Thank You
Janice

Kimpula

Re: Birth record Amanda Katharina -04 OCT 1881 Lupua,FI

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kimpula » 31.07.2018 10:00

[Dare I ask this last question? The American records show Amanda's maiden name as Maunumäki. It's not Salo as shown in communion books. Where would that name come from????
Dare I answer? Yes I do! It probably comes from the fact that people who transcribe "Finnish" records (*) in America do not understand the the sources; i.e. the difference between surname, toponymic name ("house name") and patronymic name. (You can not tell the difference if you look just birth records.)

(*) Which could be Swedish or Russian records depending on time and area of "Finland" in question.

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 31.07.2018 15:19

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. We'll ignore the Maunumäki name. Regarding the initial request of Amanda. Here is the link to the communion book that lists her family and we should start using Salo as last name. Correct?
http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/sivut_e ... 2&pnum=289
Thank You

Kimpula

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kimpula » 31.07.2018 20:04

Katie kirjoitti:we should start using Salo as last name. Correct?
You seem to be using American data model of names (first name, middle name, last name, right?). That does not work in places/cultures that model names diffenretly. Like Lapua, "Finland". So my advice is to change your data model. :mrgreen:

(See my previous message on "Finnish" names.)

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 31.07.2018 20:07

That's exactly what I'm doing. That's why I use phpBB for my verifcation when I can not understand something and FFHA.
Thanks for your help.
Janice

Vastaa Viestiin