Salminen Family

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
ltaverner

Salminen Family

Viesti Kirjoittaja ltaverner » 09.03.2016 03:13

My grandmother was Aili Astrid Salminen born in Turku in 1905. She came to Canada in 1928. On the ships record her father was listed as August Samlinen who lived in Turku on Bilmarkinkatu 3. I looked it up on a map and this street is near the train station. I can't seem to figure out what Parish it is. Can someone tell me where I should look next?

tuulacu

Re: Salminen Family

Viesti Kirjoittaja tuulacu » 28.03.2016 18:28

Until 1921 all Turku was part of one parish, Turun tuomiokirkkoseurakunta (cathedral parish). Since 1921 it was divided into smaller units, and today it is again one unit, https://www.turunseurakunnat.fi/portal/en
- so if you are thinking of sending a query on your grandmother to a parish, this is it. They have a central register where the queries are sent, it may take some time (varies from parish to parish) and costs some. You cannot see documents under 100 years old in net sources so your choice is this, sorry!

The address of the queries is down on this page, starting with "Postiosoite"
https://www.turunseurakunnat.fi/portal/ ... ututkimus/
- on this page they give other advice also to specify the person/s you are asking questions of, birth dates, names, other information; how many generations back you want to know (and if you want whole families).

Salminen is a very common name in Finland. It is one of those which were taken at the beginning of the 20th century when everybody had to have a surname in 1920, at the latest.

BR Tuula K

ltaverner

Re: Salminen Family

Viesti Kirjoittaja ltaverner » 31.03.2016 01:39

Thank you so much for your help and making this clear for me. I will try to contact the parish and see if I can find her birth or baptism information. Best regards, Liisa :D

Vastaa Viestiin